Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Here's the Deal

Here's the deal. Life and death keep coming, day in and day out. Since I got here, lessons came and while some stuck, some eluded my ownership. Rebecca McIntosh O'Dell died this week and you should look at the minuscule video on Facebook about her. She lived and taught the truth and loved really well.

She learned to survive brain cancer while her husband progressed from mysterious stiffness to death itself. She survived his death and seven years past her prognosis. In their dying they both lived their faith with a joy unmatched by most.

Joy is not the absence of suffering but is the presence of God. That joy is sacred. The knowledge of God is sacred. We can compose ourselves in the face of life. We can acknowledge the sacred and search for the knowledge of God. Are not peace and joy the goal?

I know I learned from Rebecca once and for all that God is absolutely not a kill-joy or a backhand when I sin. He doesn't count my missteps, although I will be accountable for them one day. He enriches my life with His presence. He has welcomed Rebecca home now and waits to welcome me some day.

That's the deal. We believe and we go home to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment